Simple all the way around – from ingredients to clean-up – this recipe can be enjoyed any time of day.
- 1 slice whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Wash hands throughly with soap and water.
- Lay the slice of bread on a cutting board. Use the rim of a drinking glass or biscuit cutter to cut a hole out of the center of the slice of bread. Set aside.
- Crack egg into a small bowl, being careful not to break the yolk. Wash hands.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and lay the bread in the middle. Place the circle cut out piece in the pan beside the outer piece.
- Pour the egg into the hole, trying to keep the yolk unbroken.
- Cook until the egg sets on the bottom, about 2 minutes, then carefully flip the whole thing. Flip the circle piece too.
- Cook the other side until the egg reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit using a food thermometer— about 30 seconds to a minute longer. Enjoy!
- Pair with fruit and a glass of milk to make it a meal.
- Our favorite toppings include: salsa, chopped cilantro, hot sauce, and pepper.
- Check out our video on using a bell pepper ring instead of bread for this recipe!